*Hawai'i form may not arrive concurrently with results, but will be delivered within 48 hours. If you have not received your results or letter and it's been 48 hours, please call (619) 543-7108*
About Hawai'i COVID-19 Testing
UC San Diego Health is proud to be a Trusted Travel and Testing Partner for the State of Hawai'i
Safe Travels Hawai'i Program. Our lab is CLIA-certified, and our COVID-19 test is a Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT), as required by the Safe Travel Hawai'i program. We offer drive-up testing for $125, with results available within 48 hours at five convenient sites.
Hawai'i COVID-19 Test Locations
Although UC San Diego Health also offers testing through other links, only results from tests scheduled through the link below are valid for entry into Hawai'i.
Schedule Your Hawai'i COVID-19 Test
- Hawai'i trusted travel testing through UCSD is only available through this scheduling link:
- The test cannot be taken more than 72 hours before your flight departure time.
- Please note, UCSD Health has limited availability for Hawai'i travel testing. Schedule as far enough in advance to meet the 72 hour testing requirement.
- If there are no slots available, then we are at capacity for Hawai'i travel testing for the dates selected. Please refer back to the Hawai'i travel website for other local testing availability:
If you have a multi-city flight itinerary, the departure time is from the last city you leave before arrival into a Hawai'i airport (e.g. if your flight itinerary is from Denver to San Diego to Honolulu, the departure time is your flight from San Diego).
- It is the responsibility of the traveler to schedule testing such that results are received prior to departure.
- Any traveler who does not have their result prior to departure will be required to quarantine for 10 days or the length of their stay, whichever is shorter. Test results be must uploaded by the traveler to
Schedule Your Hawai'i COVID Test
Hawai'i COVID-19 Test Results
Results will be available via
MyUCSDChart within 48 hours.
- We will email you a link to view them in your MyUCSDChart when they are ready.
If you do not have an account, you will be provided an activation code in your test scheduling confirmation email.
Please activate your account.
- For children ages 11 and under, you will receive instructions for the MyChart account at the testing location.
- All passengers are required to have a negative test (regardless of age) to avoid quarantine.
- Immediately upon receipt of your result form, upload it in PDF format in upright orientation to your account at
https://travel.hawaii.gov. Do not upload the instructions page.
- Any traveler who does not have their result prior to departure will be required to quarantine.
If your test result is positive before you travel, DO NOT TRAVEL. Self-isolate and seek the advice of a medical provider.
- A negative test result does not guarantee that you have not been exposed or that there is no COVID-19 virus in your body. You should continue to follow the safe practices to reduce the possible spread of the virus and monitor yourself for symptoms of COVID-19. If you develop a fever, cough, shortness of breath, changes in taste or smell or otherwise feel ill, please contact a medical provider to review your symptoms and possibly arrange further care and/or testing. You should self-isolate at the first signs or symptoms of possible COVID-19 infection.
- There will be a receipt available online on MyChart for insurance reimbursement.
If you have been unable to upload your test result to your Safe Travels Application or your status has not been updated after 48 hours from the time of submission, please call the help line at 1-800-GOHAWAI (1-800-464-2924).
For more information, visit:
If you require additional assistance with COVID-19 testing, please visit here.
UCSD Hawai'i FAQ
State of Hawai'i site:
Q: We are traveling to Hawai'i and are planning to test 72 hours in advance of flying out per Hawai'i's requirement. Does this give us enough time to get results in advance of going to the airport to board our flight?
A: Results and the Hawai'i travel form are available within 48 hours of getting swabbed. It is the traveler's responsibility to retrieve the form with result and upload to the Hawai'i travel portal.
Q: It's been 32 hours since I got swabbed, should I call to check on my results?
A: Please do not reach out until it's been a full 48 hours without receiving both your result and State of Hawai'i travel form. We are triaging calls from multiple populations including sick and surgical patients and need to keep our phone line open for urgent calls related to patients as much as possible. If it has been 48 hours and/or you've received your letter and have questions about your results or results letter, please contact us on our results line at (619) 543-7108. We are available 7 days per week, between the hours of 6am-3pm.
Q: I am a student/employee of UCSD and receive free testing. I am traveling to Hawai'i, can my free test be applied to Hawai'i travel?
A: Unfortunately, not at this time. Due to complexities of the program, anyone traveling to Hawai'i must schedule through the designated link on this page and pay the $125 fee per test.
Q: How do I request an exemption from mandatory quarantine if I have already received the vaccine?
A: Please visit https://ag.hawaii.gov/travelexemption/ for information and instructions on the exemption process.
Q: We are traveling to Bora Bora and/or Tahiti, are you a trusted travel partner site for testing to travel to those locations?
A: We are currently a trusted travel partner for
only Hawai'i, and not any other travel locations.
Q : I'd like to schedule a test to travel to Hawai'i, can someone please call me?
A: Unfortunately, we do not schedule by phone. You may schedule a test for travel to Hawai'i through the designated Hawai'i travel link
Q: My family and I have scheduled individual tests at the same time for travel to Hawai'i. Can we show up for testing in the same car?
A: Yes, you may share the same car for testing, but each individual must have their own pre-scheduled appointment in order to be tested.
Q: I'd like to schedule a test to travel to Hawai'i, but cannot find an available testing slot on the day I need testing. What can I do?
A: Hawai'i testing is limited and subject to availability and the current state of COVID. If you do not see any available slots, it means there are no more available for the day you've selected. Please choose another day or you may search other local available Hawai'i testing options on the
State of Hawai'i website.
Q: Does Hawai'i have any requirement for transferring flights? Since I will depart to Honolulu at 1pm from LAX and transfer from Honolulu to Maui at 7pm. Do I need valid 72 hour results from 1pm or 7pm?
A: Please check the State of Hawai'i requirements or call at 1-800-GOHAWAI (1-800-464-2924) to confirm. It is up to the traveler to select the appropriate time to test based on current travel requirements.
Q: I live in Oceanside and can only find a Hawai'i travel test on the day I need at your Hillcrest site. Can you switch my test to a drive-up location closer to my house?
A: Each drive-up testing site has its own limit of COVID tests and Hawai'i tests so we are unable to move available Hawai'i testing between sites.
Travel and Arrival in Hawai'i
- We recommend you bring a printed copy of your test results with you.
- To avoid quarantine, you may be required to take a follow-up post-arrival test depending on the county in Hawai'i to which you are traveling. Please check the appropriate county website.
- You may also be asked to participate in a strictly voluntary post-arrival testing program to monitor the effectiveness of the Safe Travels pre-arrival test. Please consider participating as this helps to assure we are effectively lowering the risk of COVID-19 to our visitors and the people of Hawai'i.
- The island of Kaua'i has temporarily opted out of the Safe Travels Hawai'i Program. Therefore all passengers will be required to quarantine upon arrival.
- Please visit https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/getting-to-hawaii/ for the most up-to-date information regarding requirements for travel to Hawai'i.