If your travel destination requires more than just a negative COVID-19 test, this may be the testing program for you. Fit to Travel Testing is for all destinations (non-Hawaii) requiring a results travel form. The form includes the official UC San Diego Health logo, information about our lab, your personal information, including your COVID-19 test results - click here to see an example of the form. Some destinations may request customized information, please contact us at (619) 543-7108 to see if we were able to add your request to a results travel form. Or, email us at UCSDTravelTesting@health.ucsd.edu. Emails will be answered within 1-business day. Please note: not all requests might be able to be accommodated - if you think you need customization on a results travel form, please call before scheduling your test.
We offer drive-up testing for $125 at five convenient sites with results available within 48 hours.
COVID-19 Test Locations
Although UC San Diego Health also offers testing through other links, only results from tests scheduled through the link below are valid for testing requiring documentation.
Schedule Your Fit to Travel COVID-19 Test
- If our Fit to Travel program meets your needs, you may schedule through our scheduling link: here
- Travel tests are typically not taken more than 72 hours before your travel departure time. Please align your testing schedule along with the requirements of that of your transportation requirements and/or your destination.
- It is the responsibility of the traveler to schedule testing such that results are received prior to departure.
- For more information, see the FAQs below
Fit to Travel COVID-19 Test Results
Results will be available via MyUCSDChart within 48 hours. See an example here
- We will email you a link to the email address you provide when scheduling to view them in your MyUCSDChart when they are ready.
If you do not have an account, you will be provided an activation code in your test scheduling confirmation email.
Please activate your account.
- Review the requirements for your travel destination carefully. It is up to the traveler to provide the required information to their transportation provider and/or destination/hotel/tour company.
- If your test result is positive before you travel, DO NOT TRAVEL. Self-isolate and seek the advice of a medical provider.
- A negative test result does not guarantee that you have not been exposed or that there is no COVID-19 virus in your body. You should continue to follow the safe practices to reduce the possible spread of the virus and monitor yourself for symptoms of COVID-19. If you develop a fever, cough, shortness of breath, changes in taste or smell or otherwise feel ill, please contact a medical provider to review your symptoms and possibly arrange further care and/or testing. You should self-isolate at the first signs or symptoms of possible COVID-19 infection.
- If I have recovered from COVID-19 but still test positive for the virus do I still have to quarantine?
- There may be an exemption for people who have tested positive for COVID-19 and recovered.
- If I test positive for COVID-19 but I am asymptomatic, can I be retested immediately?
- No, you cannot receive another test through the Hawaii travel program for at least 10 days following the positive test.
- Information about receipts and insurance reimbursement:
- In specific cases, asymptomatic COVID-19 testing may be reimbursed by insurance, however, the $125 asymptomatic Fit to Travel testing offered by UC San Diego Health is for convenience purposes only and additional documentation required for the purposes of obtaining reimbursement from your insurance plan are not included as part of this asymptomatic Fit to Travel testing.
- For example, a traveler being tested will receive a receipt confirming payment but this will not include the information typically required by health plans to obtain reimbursement, nor are we able to provide at this time. If you are symptomatic or suspect you have been exposed to the COVID-19 virus, please save your spot at an express care or urgent care clinic here and we will bill insurance directly on your behalf.
If it has been 48 hours and/or you've received your letter and have questions about your results or results letter, please contact us on our results line at (619) 543-7108. We are available 7 days per week, between the hours of 6am-3pm. Or, email us at UCSDTravelTesting@health.ucsd.edu. Emails will be answered within 1-business day.
Need additional assistance with COVID-19 testing? Please visit here.
UCSD Fit to Travel FAQ
Q: We are traveling to our destination and are planning to test 72 hours in advance. Does this give us enough time to get results in advance of going to the airport to board our flight?
A: Results and the Fit to Travel form are available within 48 hours of getting swabbed. It is the traveler's responsibility to retrieve the form with result.
Q: It's been 32 hours since I got swabbed, should I call to check on my results?
A: Please do not reach out until it's been a full 48 hours without receiving both your result and Fit to Travel form. We are triaging calls from multiple populations including sick and surgical patients and need to keep our phone line open for urgent calls related to patients as much as possible. If it has been 48 hours and/or you've received your letter and have questions about your results or results letter, please contact us on our results line at (619) 543-7108. We are available 7 days per week, between the hours of 6am-3pm. Or, email us at UCSDTravelTesting@health.ucsd.edu. Emails will be answered within 1-business day.
Q: I am a student/employee of UCSD and receive free testing. I am traveling to a destination, can my free test be applied to this travel testing?
A: Unfortunately, not at this time. Due to complexities of the program, anyone traveling to a destination requiring a travel form must schedule through the designated link on this page and pay the $125 fee per test.
Q: Where I'm traveling to require customized information, can UCSD provide customized forms?
A: In general, no. We can accommodate adding your passport number added to the form only. Please contact us on our results line at (619) 543-7108. We are available 7 days per week, between the hours of 6am-3pm. Or, email us at UCSDTravelTesting@health.ucsd.edu. Emails will be answered within 1-business day.
Q: I'd like to schedule a test, can someone please call me?
A: Unfortunately, we do not schedule by phone. You may schedule a test for our Fit to Travel program through the designated Fit to Travel link here.
Q: My family and I have scheduled individual tests at the same time. Can we show up for testing in the same car?
A: Yes, you may share the same car for testing, but each individual must have their own pre-scheduled appointment in order to be tested.
Q: I'd like to schedule a test for the Fit to Travel program, but cannot find an available testing slot on the day I need testing. What can I do?
A: Testing is limited and subject to availability and the current state of COVID. If you do not see any available slots, it means there are no more available for the day you've selected. Please choose another day or you may search other local available testing options.
Q: I live in Oceanside and can only find a Fit to Travel travel test on the day I need at your Hillcrest site. Can you switch my test to a drive-up location closer to my house?
A: Each drive-up testing site has its own limit of COVID tests and Fit to Travel tests, therefore we are unable to move available Fit to Travel testing between sites.
Q: I'm going to Hawaii, is this the testing I want to use?
A: No, this testing is not for Hawaii and by scheduling through this link your results travel form may not be appropriate for Hawaii and/or may delay your form. To schedule Hawaii testing, please click here.
- We recommend you bring a printed copy of your test results with you.
- Double check travel rules for your destination, transportation and accommodations providers, and tour companies to ensure the COVID-19 testing you receive meets requirements